torsdag 1 november 2012

Purpose


I am an architect who in the quest of exploring what drives me created this blog for purely selfish reasons. I am fascinated by atmospheres, by sacral architecture; or rather 'the spirited'. Architecture that does not have to have been built with those values in mind, but inherent these (to me) qualities, that often takes one by surprise. 

As in Ashley-Cooper, third earl of Shaftesbury, Dennis and Addison's journey to the alps in the 18th century I intend to, with this blog as my notebook, explore the (purely subjective) sublime in architecture and beyond.

Sublime, to me is the awe of the great, it can bring both pleasure/delight and fear/horror at the same time. 
It often comes with a melancholia for me for what does not last or has a beauty hard to grasp. The sublime I recognise as lofty and poetic, it creates emotions and speak to me. It is the magic of the real and the beauty it can possess.
Because, to me the sublime is not beauty, it is something else although the sublime can possess beauty beyond the bounds of beauty as a concept.

Maybe I will be able to put my finger on the great fascination that I have when I find the sublime in architecture, what is it that creates it and what it is to me. Maybe I will never be able to put my finger on anything other than the outcome it brings. Nevertheless, it is the journey of exploring I am after and what it can bring outside of this blog.

Inga kommentarer:

Skicka en kommentar